The time of the year is here : to get a flu shot or not? Patients often asked what can they do to protect their families? Many are concern over the ingredients in flu shots which may contain mercury and aluminium among other ingredients. Here are our recommendations for you to stay healthy:
* Increase intake of fiber. In other words, eat more vegetables. Your dinner plate should be 60-70% covered with vegetables. Its undeniable that vegetables are rich in micro-nutrients that are sadly missed in most American diets.
* Reduce intake of processed foods. This includes junk foods, fast foods, baked goods and any goods that has an expiration date.
* Home cook and eat in more. You get to control the ingredients that you put in your food.
* Increase water intake. Reduce soda, caffeine and alcoholic beverages. Your liver will thank you!
* Move your body. Engage in physical activities at least 20 minutes per day. The benefits of exercise is not just limited to cardiovascular health.
* Limit interactions with social media and technology gadgets. Get outside, get some fresh air and some sun. Walk barefoot and feel the earth under your feet.
* Engage in relaxation exercises e.g. meditation, yoga, qi gong and tai chi.
* Try and get at least 8 hours of sleep. Numerous studies have shown that our body repairs itself while we are sleeping.
(D) Self Care = Self Love
* Get massages once a month. Massage not only relaxes the mind and body, it also helps you get rid of toxins.
* Come for your acupuncture tune up session. Do not wait till you have the sniffles before calling us.
* Take your whole food supplements and herbs.
* Get cupping. Its a great way to loosen up your muscles, open up your lungs and get rid of any lingering cough or phlegm.