Stroke affects the arteries leading to and within the brain by cutting off blood flow. There are three types of stroke :
1) Ischemic (Clots)
Ischemic stroke occurs as a result of an obstruction within a blood vessel supplying blood to the brain.
2) Hemorrhagic (Bleeding)
Hemorrhagic stroke occurs when a weakened blood vessel ruptures.
3) TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack)
TIA is caused by a temporary clot.
Who is at risk of stroke?
1) High blood pressure. High blood pressure is the main risk factor for stroke.
3) Heart diseases
5) Age and gender
6) Personal or family history of stroke or TIA
7)Brain aneurysms or arteriovenous malformations (AVMs)
How do you know you are having a stroke?
1) Sudden numbness/ weakness of the body especially when it is one sided.
2) Sudden changes in vision and difficulty swallowing.
3) Slurry speech, difficulty understanding and speaking.
4) Sudden confusion.
What Can You do to Help?
1) Call 911 immediately if you or someone you know are having the above symptoms.
2) Ask them to smile. Can they do it? Did one side of their face appears droopy?
3) Ask them simple questions like name, date, day and where they are at and make a note of their responses. Can they answer those basic questions? Did they take a long time to answer?
Acupuncture, herbal medicine and nutritional therapy can help reduce your risks of stroke and other chronic diseases. Please call us at 909.590.4183 to know more!